John Boddie, Bankruptcy Attorney

Home | Bankruptcy Attorney | Bankruptcy
Mailing Address:
P. O. Box 1443
Randleman, NC 27317

(336) 379-0079


John retired at the end of 2015, except for a few Chapter 13 bankruptcy cases that should be completed within the next year.  If you are one of John Boddie's clients (or if you have been a client in the past) please call John at (336) 379-0079  or email him at  If you're not a client and want a free consultation to discuss whether bankruptcy is right for you, please call Ling and Farran at (336) 272-2157.   Keep reading below for answers to common questions that John's former clients sometimes have.

Why did I not reaffirm my mortgage?

Sometimes my clients' mortgage company will tell them that they should have done what is called a "reaffirmation" in their Chapter 7 bankruptcy.   In fact, people can keep their homes and continue paying their mortgages after bankruptcy whether the mortgage is reaffirmed or not.  A reaffirmation is a procedure that benefits the mortgage company and is rarely in the homeowner's interest.  What it does is reinstate the mortgage so that the homeowner becomes liable for the mortgage debt in spite of the bankruptcy even if they lose the home in foreclosure.  Because reaffirmation is almost never a good idea for the homeowner, the bankruptcy judges in the Middle District of North Carolina will hold a court hearing if someone tries to reaffirm a mortgage.  In most cases the judges here would disallow the reaffirmation.  In some other bankruptcy courts outside North Carolina, it is more common for judges to allow a reaffirmation even if it is not in the homeowner's interest, and some mortgage companies in these other states mistakenly think that reaffirmation of the mortgage is required.  In fact, reaffirmation is not required and is not even allowed by our local bankruptcy judges, except in extremely rare cases.  I can recall only two cases of mine where we reaffirmed a mortgage in the last 20 years.  In these cases the mortgage company drastically reduced the interest rate and the outstanding balance, and so it made sense for those two clients to reaffirm the new deal.  For everyone else I represented, the mortgage companies refused to offer a better deal and so there was no reason to reaffirm.


The chief judge of the Middle District Bankruptcy Court published an opinion in 2006 explaining why our court does not approve mortgage reaffirmations.  The case is In re Bennett (Case No. 06-80241) 05/26/2006 and can be read by clicking on the case name.  If the link doesn't work, the Bennett opinion can be found by going to the Middle District website, and clicking on "Opinions."


Why doesn't my mortgage show on my credit report?

Because mortgages are not reaffirmed in bankruptcy cases filed in Greensboro or Winston-Salem, the banks or mortgage companies are not required to report the mortgage to the credit bureau.  If you filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy, your personal obligation to pay the mortgage debt is discharged in bankruptcy just like your credit cards and other debt.  The reason you are paying the mortgage is to keep the house. 

Were my student loans affected by my bankruptcy?

Before 1990 people could file Chapter 13 bankruptcy, pay as much as they could afford toward their student loans in a five-year plan and get a discharge of the remaining balance at the end of the case.  Since 1990 it has been almost impossible to relieve government-guaranteed student loan obligations through bankruptcy.  The judges in the Middle District of North Carolina use the so-called Brunner test.  Between 1990 and 2005 only one of my clients was able to get a discharge of his student loan.  After the law was made even worse in 2005  I had no clients who were able to discharge their student loans using the Brunner test.  However, there are some indications that this harsh state of affairs may be changing.


What can I do about my student loans?
The US Department of Education has several options for repaying or even forgiving student loans.  Go to the department's website,, for information about Income Driven Repayment and Public Service Loan Forgiveness.

What if a creditor tries to collect a debt included in my Chapter 7 Bankruptcy?

If you get a collection letter, fax it to John at (336) 379-0079 or scan it and email to  If someone calls you, give them your bankruptcy case number and try to get their name and address.  If they call repeatedly, send the information to John.

Some companies buy bad debt and try to collect it.  If the debt was included in your bankruptcy, it is still discharged even if a debt buyer now owns the right to collect it.

If a legitimate collection agency has made a mistake and is trying to collect a discharged debt, they will give you time to check with your bankruptcy attorney before demanding payment.  If someone demands money immediately or asks for your bank account or credit card number, you are probably dealing with a scam artist.  Some criminals have been known to get public bankruptcy records and use the information to scam people out of money.  Some of these scammers will even impersonate bankruptcy lawyers or paralegals to convince their victims that they owe money in spite of their bankruptcy.  If John was your bankruptcy lawyer, please know that we would never talk to a collection agency on a conference call with you and we would never tell a collector that you owe money for a debt included in your bankruptcy, unless we have previously sent you a letter.  If somebody claims to be from John's office, please hang up and call or email us to let us know.  If you have given your bank account number to anyone, go to your bank immediately and change your account number.


Can I file bankruptcy again?

Yes, you can file bankruptcy more than once.  For example, you can file a second Chapter 7 bankruptcy and get a discharge if the second case is filed more than eight years after the first one.  However, the rules are complicated, so be sure to consult a bankruptcy lawyer if you have new debts you cannot afford to pay.

Do I owe tax to the IRS for debt discharged in bankruptcy?

You do not owe tax for debt discharged in bankruptcy.  Creditors listed on your bankruptcy should not send an IRS Form 1099 notifying the IRS of "forgiveness of debt."   However, if you get a 1099 form claiming that the creditor "forgave" or "cancelled" your debt, you will have to deal with it.   If you get a 1099 from a creditor, attach IRS Form 982 to your tax return.  If you have already filed your tax return for the year listed on the 1099, you should file an amended tax return and attach the Form 982 to that.  On the Form 982, check Box 1a that says "discharge of indebtedness in a Title 11 case" (Title 11 is the Bankruptcy Code), write in your bankruptcy case number, and on Line 2 list the amount of the debt shown on the 1099 form.   If your usual tax preparer does not know about Form 982, check around and find a new tax preparer.

What if a debt listed in my bankruptcy shows up on my credit report?

For 10 years after you file bankruptcy, your credit reports should show each included creditor with a zero balance and a note that the debt was "included in bankruptcy."   If the entry shows a balance or late payments, follow the instructions on the credit report to file a dispute.  If the debt isn't corrected on your report, email me at and attach a copy of your credit report and your correspondence.  In some cases it is necessary to reopen the bankruptcy to deal with this.  After 10 years (and sometimes before) the debts should drop off entirely.

Has bankruptcy law changed recently?

The  U.S. Congress passed a new bankruptcy law on April 14, 2005, which took effect October 17, 2005.  The law passed after intensive lobbying by the credit card industry, and it was intended to make it harder for consumers to file bankruptcy.  There have been no major changes in federal bankruptcy law since 2005.

 Do you have an original will that your office prepared for me (or my parents) in the 1990's?

Prior to 2000 I prepared wills and similar documents, and on rare occasions I kept my client's original will in my safe deposit box.  Most of my clients retrieved their wills by 2009, but at this time I still have a few original wills.   If you believe we have a will on deposit, please send an email to  In the unlikely event that we have the will, John will meet you at the Ling and Farran office and give you the will after you have provided him with sufficient identification.


Where is your office located?

The Ling and Farran office is at Suite 101, 1515 W. Cornwallis Drive, Greensboro, NC 27408.  It is one block east of Lawndale Drive and Battleground Avenue in Greensboro.



Our Hours
Monday -Thursday

9am -  1pm



John Boddie, Bankruptcy Attorney

This site  The Web

Web hosting by